Industrial robot system integrators are located at the downstream application end of the robot industry chain, providing application solutions to end customers. It is responsible for the secondary development of industrial robot applications and the integration of peripheral automation equipment and is an important part of industrial robot automation applications.
What is Robotics and Automation Integration?
In recent years, due to the rapid development of the domestic industrial robot market, the number of industrial robot system integrators has expanded rapidly. The robot is a simple stand-alone robot system, which is generally the main body electric control cabinet and the teaching pendant, which are standard products. For the robot to function, it needs to cooperate with a lot of peripheral equipment to form an effective industrial automation production system. System integration solution providers are located at the downstream application end of the robot industry chain, providing application solutions for end customers. They are responsible for the development and integration of industrial robot software systems, which are an important part of industrial robot automation applications.
Robotic integration uses robotic systems in strategic areas to perform automated tasks. Robotic system integrators analyze your manufacturing, material handling, transportation, or inspection lines, determine where improvements can be made, and install automation technology in these areas. Robot integration generally has two main applications including industrial robots and collaborative robots.
Robot system integration functions:
Robotic system integration type:
- Design of end effector and fixture.
- On-site industrial control software and information interaction.
- Offline programming simulation and production line virtual design.
- On-site sensing/measurement and control.
- Integrated application of advanced manufacturing technology.
Robot system integration features:
- Industrial Robots: Industrial robotic systems are machines designed to perform repetitive actions in an industrial environment. These robots can be multi-axis robotic arms, automated guided vehicles, autonomous cells, or transport vehicles. Thanks to these modern advances, these systems are flexible and scalable. You can easily reprogram your robotic system as demand grows, peak seasons change, or products change. Because of this scalability, flexibility, and accuracy, automation integration is growing globally in low- to high-volume production lines. Typical industrial robot applications include material handling, assembly, painting, palletizing, welding, inspection and testing, cleaning room, and distribution.
- Collaborative Robotics: Collaborative robot integration involves installing robots and other automated technologies next to employees to complete tasks. Collaborative robots (cobots) can be challenging applications. Employees need to consider different safety and ergonomic factors when approaching robotic arms to avoid accidents or injuries. Therefore, companies must plan with, and consult with, experienced integrators before integrating cobots.
- Features of smart equipment projects: More and more personalized, customized, and green.
- Manufacturing demand characteristics: Multi-variety/variable batch, mixed-line production, the pursuit of high quality and low cost, energy saving, and emission reduction.
- Features at the technical level: Embody intelligence, replace humans with machines, and realize highly flexible production and processing operations.
What is a Robot System Integrator?
The so-called robot system integration refers to the introduction of the mechanical system using the robot, professional design, assembly, etc., to build a set of optimal robot system behavior. Usually, these operators or manufacturers who build robot systems are called Robot System Integrators (Robot SIer). Certified Robot Integrators have completed a rigorous organizational/infrastructure compliance program to ensure they are recognized for their competence and high level of experience and expertise.
System integrators purchase industrial robot bodies and formulate solutions that meet production needs according to the needs of different industries or customers. With the integration of key equipment production lines for large-scale projects, such as the transformation of industrial robot work islands and factory production lines, existing equipment carry out upgrades and networking, and provide services. Such as system design, system complete sets, equipment integration, and EPC engineering in industrial control, transmission, communication, production, and management information. The core is various sensors, including touch, force, and vision.
Manufacturers who produce and sell semi-finished robots such as robotic arms are just manufacturers of robots, and these alone are far from enough. Moreover, to differentiate themselves from other companies, robot manufacturers develop and release robots with their characteristics every year. Therefore, choosing which robot manufacturer's robot is better, and how to build the most suitable robot system integration is what Robot SIer needs to do.
Robotic System Integrators are Responsible for:
The purpose of building a robot system is to solve the problems of labor shortage and technology inheritance in daily work, improve production performance while reducing error rates, reduce costs, and realize factory automation (FA) or smart factories. It can be said that it is a problem-solving job.
- It is necessary to first determine the processing type and process that the customer wants to introduce the robot system, and fill in the processing content, processing workpiece, budget, and estimated introduction time in the questionnaire.
- Discuss with professional SIer personnel the feasibility of building a robot system for the customer. If it is judged possible, conduct F/S (feasibility study) at the customer's factory to determine the main technical verification steps to determine the system specifications. And establish the cost of each step.
- Use the robot simulator to generate the overall concept of the system, and propose the specification and quotation of the system.
- Confirm with the client and ask the client to place an order.
What are the Benefits of Robot System Integration?
The benefits of robot integration are manifold. Companies that introduce robots into production lines, material handling processes, or other critical areas can improve accuracy, repeatability, consistency, and speed time to market. Robot integrators work with the automotive industry, medical and life sciences, e-commerce, and other industries to save on labor costs, reduce production costs, and improve turnaround speed and quality. It is also beneficial to work with an experienced robotics integrator who can design and build solutions, or leverage your existing capital equipment to improve your production line.
The Business Model of Robot Integration:
Industrial robot system integrators are at the downstream application end of the robot industry chain, providing application solutions for end customers. According to the process of developing industrial robots in various countries in the world, integrators can be summarized into three different development models, namely the United States, Japan, and Europe's model.
- American model: Industrial robot companies purchase branded industrial robots, conduct system integration by themselves, and deliver them to downstream customers.
- Japanese model: The industrial robot body and integration are completely separated, the industrial robot body manufacturer is only responsible for manufacturing the industrial robot body, and its subsidiaries or social engineering companies carry out system integration.
- European model: The manufacture and integration of industrial robot bodies are completed by body manufacturers.