Learn what PP protective film is and its properties. Learn more about the difference between common CPP film, OPP film, BOPP film, and MOPP film? What are the differences in its characteristics?
What is PP film?
PP film refers to the general term for polypropylene film. Through different production methods, PP films with different characteristics are produced and applied in different fields. Mainly include CPP films, OPP films, BOPP films, and MOPP films. These four named materials are all PP films, which are produced by extruding machines using PP plastic raw materials, and then produced by different film stretching processes.
Why is the Film Stretched?
The purpose of stretching the plastic film includes improving dimensional stability, improving mechanical properties, improving gloss, and transparency, and improving gas barrier properties.
Due to the stretched polymer, the stretching direction of the polymer can be regularly arranged, resulting in a high degree of alignment, improving material density and film strength, increasing gas barrier properties, improving mechanical properties, and improving surface gloss and transparency.
What are the Plastic Properties of PP (polypropylene)?
- It has the characteristics of non-toxic, odorless, and low density, and it is one of the lightest varieties of all plastics at present.
- Strength, stiffness, and hardness are better than polyethylene, and it has good molding processability.
- Polypropylene has high crystallinity and regular structure, so it has excellent mechanical properties.
- It has high heat resistance, and the continuous use temperature can reach 110-120℃.
- Products are susceptible to aging due to the action of light, heat, and oxygen during use, as well as poor cold resistance and poor coloring.
- Common organic solvents such as acids and alkalis have little effect on them and can be used for tableware.
What are the Advantages, Disadvantages, and Applications of PP Protective Film?
Advantages of PP protective film:
Disadvantages of PP protective film:
- PP protective film is better than PE protective film in hardness, scratch resistance, and transparency, and has higher protection for the products to be protected.
- When the PP protective film is produced by co-extrusion technology, the range of adhesive force adjustment is relatively large, so the PP protective film can be formulated into a high-adhesion protective film.
- In the production of PP plastic itself, there is no fisheye, and it is made by a multi-layer co-extrusion or cast film machine, so the cleanliness of the PP protective film is high.
- The temperature resistance of PP protective film is higher, which is better than that of PE protective film.
- The PP protective film has good and stable adhesive properties, and it is not easy to fall off, blister and warp when it has adhered to the product.
PP protective film cannot be produced by a film blowing machine, but can only be produced by a multi-layer co-extrusion or cast film machine, so the production cost will be higher than that of PE.
The Application Fields of PP Protective Film:
- Optoelectronics industry: Apply electronic parts protection, and structured optical film protection, such as diffuser film, brightness enhancement film, light guide film, and other special films.
- PCB industry: Suitable for electroplating process protection of printed circuit board process, or used as electroplating masking tape.
- Plastic industry: It is used in plastic products and plastic parts with a smooth surface to protect plastic appearance parts, which may cause impact or paint peeling.
- Glass industry: PP protective film has high transparency and can protect glass panels, ITO glass, mobile phone panels, colored steel plates, and optical components such as polarizers, color filters, etc.
- Metal industry: It has excellent protection for metal plates with hairline texture or matte structure, such as stainless-steel plates, such as mirror steel plates, hairline steel plates, etc., and anodized aluminum plates and other metal protection.
- Other applications: Color decorative plate protection, automotive decorative instrument panel protection, home appliance shell protection, and other industrial use.
What are the Common PP Films?
- CPP film: Abbreviation for Cast Polypropylene, which refers to a non-stretching, non-directional flat extrusion film.
- OPP film: Short for Oriented Polypropylene, uniaxially stretched in the TD direction.
- BOPP film: Abbreviation for Biaxially Oriented Polypropylene, stretching in MD and TD directions.
- MOPP film: Abbreviation for Monoaxially Oriented Polypropylene, uniaxially stretched in the MD direction.
(MD direction refers to the machine direction, that is, the longitudinal direction of the film. TD direction refers to the transverse direction, that is, the transverse direction of the film.)
What is CPP Plastic Thin?
CPP plastic film is suitable for traditional and non-traditional packaging applications, from side welded seal bags to stand-up bags for textile and food packaging, confectionery twist wrap, document protection, and laminated stack designs to meet demanding requirements packaging needs.
CPP film has the advantages of low moisture permeability, good heat resistance, good organic drug resistance, direct heat sealing, light-specific gravity, etc. It can be used as a moisture-proof, heat-resistant, non-toxic, odorless, and tasteless packaging material. The whole series of products comply with food safety and hygiene inspections and safety inspections by impartial units.
What is OPP Protective Film (OPP Film)?
OPP film is oriented polypropylene film, OPP is a very important flexible packaging material, colorless, odorless, tasteless, non-toxic, and has high tensile strength, impact strength, rigidity, toughness, and transparency.
The production method of OPP film is that the melt of polymer polypropylene is first made into a sheet or thick film through a long and narrow head, and then in a special stretching machine, at a certain temperature and a set speed, simultaneously or step by step. The film is made by stretching in two vertical directions (longitudinal, and transverse), and after appropriate cooling or heat treatment or special processing (such as corona, coating, etc.).
What is MOPP Film?
MOPP is the abbreviation of "Monoaxially Oriented Polypropylene Film". The stretching direction is the mechanical direction. The mechanical direction has high tensile strength, lightweight, transparency, non-toxicity, moisture resistance, and good unidirectional tearing performance.
The production method of MOPP film, the most used in the industry is the casting method (flat film method). In the casting method, the prepared plastic is firstly plasticized and melted by a co-extruder. It is extruded through a T-shaped structure forming die and cast in a sheet shape onto the roller surface of a smoothly rotating cooling roller. The products produced by the casting method (flat film method) have superior performance, mature equipment, and high production efficiency, are suitable for mass production and are currently widely used by enterprises.
What is BOPP Film?
BOPP is the abbreviation of Biaxially Oriented Polypropylene. The water vapor barrier property of BOPP film can be the best among all plastic film materials.
The production of BOPP film is to first pass the melt of high molecular polypropylene through the extruder, after passing through the T-die head, condense it into a sheet, and then in a special stretching machine, simultaneously extend in both longitudinal and transverse directions, and finally Films made after cooling and corona treatment.
What is the Difference Between PP Film and OPP Film?
PP film refers to polypropylene film, and PP film that is often heard may include CPP film, BOPP film, or functional PP film (PP protective film, PP luminous film, PP composite film). Therefore, PP film is only a broad general term. There may be PP films with different functionalities or different stretching processes.
OPP film is a film product of uniaxial stretching of PP film, allowing the film to extend in the TD direction, resulting in better tensile strength, gloss, gas barrier properties, etc. The raw materials of PP film and OPP film are polypropylene. PP film is just a general term for polypropylene film. After the PP film is stretched through a TDO stretching machine, an OPP film is produced. The OPP film has enhanced mechanical properties and is suitable for use as a film. Use of packaging bags and tapes.
What is the Difference Between PP Film and CPP Film?
CPP film is cast polypropylene. The plastic is plasticized and melted through an extruder, extruded through a T-shaped structure forming die, cast in a sheet shape onto a chilled casting roll for rapid cooling, and then pulled and trimmed to wind the product.
CPP films have several properties:
- Higher stiffness than PE film.
- Excellent moisture and odor barrier properties.
- Customized formulation to produce more functional membranes.
- No solvent is used in the production process, which is relatively environmentally friendly.
- With a lightweight, high strength, high toughness, and excellent impact resistance, the first choice for composite materials.
The biggest difference between CPP film and OPP film is whether the film is stretched or not. OPP is a stretching process to enhance the properties of the film. Although the CPP film is not stretched, the formula can be adjusted according to customer needs, so that its application becomes more extensive and there are more changes. Such as: changing the color of the film, matte surface, bright surface, anti-fog, printing, etc. Various functional PP films can be produced with different formulations.
What is the Difference Between OPP Films, BOPP Films, and MOPP Films?
- BOPP film is a biaxially oriented polypropylene film.
- OPP film is transversely stretched polypropylene film.
- MOPP film is longitudinally stretched polypropylene film.
What is the difference between OPP film and BOPP film? In terms of production methods, the two are products produced by different methods. From the application point of view, the two are the same commodity, because the difference in characteristics is small.
What is the difference between PP film and MOPP film? The longitudinal tensile strength of the film: MOPP film>OPP film. Therefore, MOPP film is suitable for use in unidirectional applications with high tensile strength. The OPP film has a certain basic tensile strength in the longitudinal and transverse directions.
What is the Difference Between CPP Film, OPP Film, BOPP Film, and MOPP Film?
- CPP Film: Casting film, not stretched, the formula can be adjusted separately to make various functional PP films, such as anti-fog film, anti-static film, anti-puncture film, fog mask, etc.
- OPP Film: Transversely stretched PP film with similar properties to BOPP film, used in tapes, labels, packaging, and other products.
- Bopp Film: Biaxially oriented PP film with excellent gas barrier properties, used in packaging bags for food, clothing, cigarettes, and other daily necessities.
- MOPP Film: Longitudinal stretch PP film with high unidirectional tensile strength, used in strapping tapes, article labels, and tire linings.