The Development Trend of the Sports Industry in France
The France sports climate is booming. More than 58% of residents of the Greater Paris area exercise at least once a week for at least 30 minutes each time. Among them, indoor sports such as yoga or Pilates accounted for 13%, the largest proportion, followed by walking 12%, jogging 8%, swimming, cycling, muscle training, and other sports enthusiasts. Paris has ample public space, people can exercise without spending money, but there are also various specialized paid fitness centers in the city.
Published: Dec 27, 2021
As the COVID-19 epidemic spreads around the world, the e-commerce penetration rate during the closure of France in 2020 will rise from 86.1% to 88.7%, a record high. Online sports teaching courses are popular, and people are turning and buy dumbbells, yoga mats or stretch bands, etc., and exercise at home. In addition, to avoid close contact by taking public transportation, the number of people who switch to using bicycles, electric bicycles, or scooters as transportation is also increasing. The Paris government has also planned many bicycle lanes to cope with the growing number of bicycle users. It can be expected that the demand for buying bicycles or bicycle repairs will continue to increase.
Overview of the changes in the lives of French people in the post-epidemic era:
- France has a population of 67 million, and about 30 million people exercise regularly once a week. The people’s favorite sports are hiking, cycling, and swimming. Among them, 14.5 million people in sports are women, who prefer bodybuilding, track and field, and yoga activities.
- After the implementation of the first wave of city closures, France was not allowed to go out due to the closure of the city. Compared with the past, family members lived at home longer. Parents and children had a lot of time to gather together. They began to play various puzzle games, exercise together, and regain it.
An overview of the impact of the post-epidemic era on the French sports goods market:
- After the implementation of the first wave of the epidemic, the French government announced the "Bicycle Project", encouraging French people to use bicycles as a means of transportation. And in May 2020, it will expand the plan to triple the use of bicycles and increase the number of bicycle users. 70,000 old bicycles will be repaired in France within 20 days, and each repair cost is about 60 Euros. The French government hopes to train 500 bicycle mechanics every year and award certificates.
- Another important plan of the French government is to designate temporary bicycle lanes. To this end, the technical part is provided by the "Risk, Environment, Mobile and Renewal Design Center" (CEREMA) to provide technical specifications, and the provincial and county governments encourage their subordinates to allocate funds to DSIL. Join the grand event together. The total amount of this green investment is as high as 1 billion euros.
Sports goods popular in France in the post-epidemic era:
The value of bicycle sales increased by 10%, reaching 2.329 billion euros, and the sales volume reached 2.65 million. Examining the evolution of sales in the past 3 years, the trend is to reduce sales by 2%, but the overall sales value of bicycles continues to grow. In the bicycle sales market, not only did urban bicycles fell by 5%, and cross-country bicycles declined by 10%, but road racing bicycles increased by 9%, and electric bicycles became a hot-selling product with a substantial increase of 12% (388,000 units sold, accounting for 15% of bicycle sales, total sales of 677 million euros, a growth rate of 23%). The average selling price of electric bicycles is 1,749 Euros, which is the main product in the current bicycle market, accounting for 45% of the market rate. The electric bicycle market has only developed in recent years. Most people only use it as a tool for daily movement, but now it has slowly entered the world of sports bicycles, and the market has begun to grow.
With the better the efficiency of the bicycle motor, the lighter the weight, and the longer the endurance, it has attracted countless off-road bike enthusiasts. French people have also changed their buying mentality. They have begun to focus on quality and sustainability. The average selling price of bicycles has also increased due to the improvement of bicycle quality, from 364 Euros in 2018 to 566 Euros in 2019. The sales channels have not changed much. The channels are 55% of chain retail stores, sports goods stores (33%), and e-commerce website sales (9%). At the beginning of 2020, bicycle sales in France increased significantly by 20% due to a transportation strike. However, the outbreak of COVID-19 ensued suddenly cut off the momentum of development, and 2,400 bicycle shops fell into the abyss overnight. The French Sports and Cycling Association made a preliminary assessment of the public crisis in the first half of the year. After France lifted the ban on the city, it will comply with the social safety distance regulations. Municipal governments have drawn bicycle lanes and the central government has offered subsidies for electric bicycles to promote the bicycle market. Get active again.
Many large-scale sports events in France have been canceled due to the epidemic. Members of the French Golf Association are operating in all regions of France. There are about 700 golf clubs in the country, and about 100 small courses in the city center remain open. It is COVID One of the few allowed sports under -19. After nearly three months of lockdown, almost all golfers are eager to return to the court and breathe fresh air. Although the golf course has benefited from the return of customers and new members after the lifting of the ban, the golf club still inevitably suffers economic losses.
- Road running supplies:
Hiking is a sports activity in nature, which is completed by walking or not running. Running and walking are some of the most important activities for French people. 40% of French people usually have the habit of running or hiking. In the past 5 years, 35% of French people have had hiking experience, because the vast majority of French people like to exercise in nature, and hiking activities do not require special equipment and can be done separately. Coupled with the rich natural resources all over France, there are more than many walking and hiking routes as well as world-renowned routes, which promote the development of hiking tourism and sports in France.
Opportunities and transformation suggestions for Taiwan's sports goods industry in the post-epidemic era:
- In response to the epidemic alert area, the French government adopted the closure of public places such as gymnasiums and indoor sports to prevent the epidemic from spreading again, and promoted the popularity of online sports teaching courses. People turned to buy dumbbells, yoga mats or retractable belts, etc. For sports exercise, more and more people join online sports courses. Some gyms have moved to outdoor, such as individual boxing classes, which have led to an increase in the sales of various home sports products.
- To avoid close contact by taking public transportation, the number of people who use bicycles, electric bicycles, or scooters as transportation methods is also increasing. The Paris city government has also temporarily planned many bicycle lanes in recent days to cope with the continuous growth. Of bicycle users, it is expected that the demand for buying bicycles or bicycle repairs will continue to increase.
- The Paris Bicycle Professional Exhibition (Pro day) will be held in September 2020 to provide bicycle professionals to display and purchase. The 2020 exhibition period will be from September 20 to 22. Although it is affected by the epidemic, there are still 130 exhibitors, 400 brands exhibiting, more than 1,800 bicycle trials, and 3,200 professional buyers visited.
- The French Maritime Ship Show is the largest indoor ship exhibition in France. It will showcase various sailing boats and jet skis, water sports, navigation equipment, and the latest technology, boat rental services, tourism, and fishing. The 9-day exhibition in 2019 attracted a total of 150,000 professionals and more than 800 exhibitors from 25 countries.
Published: Dec 27, 2021