The Development Trend of the Sports Industry in Japan
Since 2019, Japan has hosted international sports events such as the World Rugby Games and the Tokyo Olympics, which indirectly sparked an upsurge in sports and fitness for all age groups. According to a survey report on the Japanese sports market, the size of the sports market in 2019 was ¥2250.4 billion.
Published: Dec 22, 2021
Japan sports market
Driven by the 2020 Tokyo Olympics, the Japanese sporting goods market will continue to grow steadily. Taiwanese businessmen should strengthen the trust of the Japanese people in Taiwanese products to expand their sales in the Japanese market.
Japan is the world's second-largest consumer market for sporting goods, second only to the United States, and it is quite popular for the general public to promote physical health or bodybuilding through exercise. The size of the Japanese sports goods market in 2016 will grow by 2.3% from 2015 to 1,428,660 million yen. Japan’s hosting of the Olympic Games in Tokyo in 2020 will also help promote the participation of all people in sports and drive the steady and sustained growth of the sports goods market in Japan.
Overview of the changes in the lives of Japanese people in the post-epidemic era:
- To prevent the spread of COVID-19, the Japanese government announced an emergency declaration. Since then, the number of Japanese people using gyms and other indoor sports venues has plummeted, and the people have avoided getting involved in confined spaces as much as possible. Therefore, Japanese people began to regularly participate in outdoor recreational sports, reducing the use of gymnasiums and switching to outdoor jogging, commuting by tram to cycling to work, and increasing outdoor recreation such as camping and mountaineering activity.
- The turnover of Japanese gym clubs has decreased by 40% to 80% compared with the same period, and they are facing the situation of suspension of business and shortened business hours. Although the gym has resumed normal business operations, the prudent Japanese people still have doubts about the confined space, which has caused the gym club company to suffer sustained blows.
- The turnover of Japanese bicycle dealers has a growing trend. It can be seen that there is a double growth trend of quality and quantity in bicycle sales in Japan.
- During the epidemic, some people began to come into contact with walking and running, and expressed their hope to maintain slow walking and jogging as normal exercise. In addition, because of the epidemic, more people have begun to exercise and pay more attention to exercise, and believe that maintaining good exercise habits has a positive impact on mood and health. Therefore, it can be predicted that the trend of road running and population in Japan will continue to rise in the future.
An overview of the impact of the post-epidemic era on the Japanese sports product industry:
- The spread of the COVID-19 epidemic has forced the postponement, suspension, or self-regulation of domestic and international sports events originally scheduled in Japan. Including the opening season of various competitive sports and the opening season of primary and secondary schools, it is also the peak season for sports goods sales. However, due to the shutdown of factories at home and abroad, the overall supply chain is broken, and the strict self-discipline of Japanese consumers when going out, the market size has been greatly reduced.
- To continue to expand the advantages of e-commerce, use the combination of virtual and physical stores to operate strengthen market expansion. E-commerce turnover also expanded smoothly, mainly due to increased demand for outdoor products such as sportswear.
- The sales growth of e-commerce is higher than that of physical stores. From February to May of 2020, the overall market size of sports shoes declined by 13% compared with the same period in 2019, and sportswear declined by 14%. Among them, sports shoes in physical stores decreased by 22%. Sportswear decreased by 25%; sports shoes sold by e-commerce bucked the trend increased by 4% (walking shoes increased by 13%, jogging shoes increased by 6%), sportswear category increased by 5%.
Sports goods popular in Japan in the post-epidemic era:
- The Japanese people's lives without leaving home, on the contrary, are deeply aware of the importance of sports, so they have begun to grasp the opportunity to be active in sports. Due to the closure of the gym, to avoid the indoor confined environment, even when going out, everyone uses jogging, walking, biking, and other confined spaces away from transportation. In addition, according to the results of the market survey, most Japanese people's methods to eliminate stress include exercise at home, cycling, and outdoor sports to relieve stress.
- Businesses have switched to providing home fitness services. Instructors provide online teaching courses such as home yoga, aerobic dance, and stretching through online software, which is very popular with consumers. Products such as yoga mats, fitness balls, and sports masks for jogging benefited from sales.
- Fitness online teaching services were launched during the epidemic, and the number of online members on various sports and fitness platforms has also increased significantly. In addition to various online courses, some companies have also launched 5-minute ultra-short time teaching for consumers It can be watched at any time during idle time.
- Home and outdoor sports products are gradually opening up the market, with domestic shipments of approximately 159 billion yen, and product demand will continue to be dominated by sports shoes, outdoor products, and indoor and outdoor sportswear.
Opportunities and transformation suggestions for Taiwan's sports product industry in the post-epidemic era:
- The rising health awareness in Japan has led to the trend of jogging, which has led to an increase in the sales of jogging shoes and related sportswear, including the sales of mid-to-high-end high-priced products. In addition, after the baby boomers retired, they started climbing mountaineering, and mountaineering products are also very popular. The sportswear part is also different from the past. The boundary between sports and leisure clothing is becoming more and more blurred. The mix and match style of popular sports and leisure, both practical and popular clothing, gives people a vibrant impression. It is recommended that Taiwanese sportswear manufacturers can strengthen it.
- Under the influence of the epidemic, people’s home time has become longer. Japan’s imports of indoor fitness equipment from April to June 2020 increased by 21.1% over the same period. The living space of Japanese families is small and small.
Fitness equipment products are becoming more popular. It is recommended that Taiwanese manufacturers actively develop small fitness products with high added value. In addition, consumers are urged by the government to avoid entering confined spaces as much as possible. Outdoor activities, such as camping, are more popular than ever. The tent import report shows that from January to July 2020, the import value of tents increased by 2.4% over the same period, indicating that the outdoor camping market continued to expand. Traditional camping is not easy to wash, camping equipment, fire and extinguishing preparations are trivial and troublesome, so the industry has introduced new services to provide a comfortable camping environment. It is recommended that Taiwanese manufacturers develop exquisite camping appliances that are more convenient for consumers to use from the perspective of users.
- Baby boomers have retired from generation to generation, and the mountaineering population has increased dramatically. In addition to the elderly, climbers also have middle-aged people who want to maintain their health. They have a demand for comfortable mountaineering products, such as cold-proof clothing, socks, and shoes. The elderly in Japan has a special affection for Taiwan. It is recommended that you create your brand of mountaineering products, combined with the tourism industry, arrange Taiwan mountaineering itineraries or activities suitable for the elderly’s physical strength, and provide package products for climbers, hikers, or event organizers can build popularity by accumulating reputation. In addition, in Japan, disaster prevention is currently one of the topics of concern. It is recommended to develop products that can be used in daily leisure and can be quickly converted into disaster prevention products in disasters, such as camping bedding with fire prevention function and camping with mobile phone charger function. Use lamps, hats with GPS positioning function, etc.
Published: Dec 22, 2021