General Situation and Development of the Shipbuilding Industry
Industry Overview of the Shipbuilding Industry:
Taiwan's shipping industry has a long history of development and is an important traditional industry in Taiwan, covering merchant ships, yachts, fishing boats, official ships, new-generation ships, and marine equipment. Shipbuilding is a highly technical and comprehensive heavy industry. Design involves high technology, marketing involves huge capital, and marine equipment involves a wider range of industries. Overall, the main task of the shipbuilding industry, in addition to the usual construction and repair of commercial ships, is an indispensable part of the national defense industry.
Shipbuilding refers to the production industry of building or manufacturing ships, generally in a platoon or docks in a specialized facility shipyard. The technology used in shipbuilding itself is very extensive. From the use of the hull to the engine, shipbuilding technology can be divided into several categories, including the hull, the stern, the engine, and the motor.
At present, the top four major shipbuilding countries in the world are China, South Korea, Japan, and the Philippines. In 2015, China surpassed Vietnam and South Korea in the three indicators and number of ships, including order book, new ship orders, and delivery volume, and has ranked first in the world for 6 consecutive years. Among them, there are bulk carriers, container ships, and oil tankers as the bulk. Further inspection of the delivery volume of various countries in 2016 is also dominated by the Asian region, of which China accounted for about 25% of the world, South Korea accounted for 23.8%, Japan accounted for 12.8%, the Philippines accounted for 1.8%, and Taiwan ranked fifth in the world, accounting for 0.7% %.
Industrial Characteristics of the Shipbuilding Industry:
Shipbuilding is a highly technical and comprehensive heavy industry. In the aspect of shipbuilding design, it involves high technology, in the aspect of marketing, it involves huge funds, and in the aspect of marine equipment, it involves a wider range of industries. Its main task, in addition to the usual construction and repair of commercial ships, is an indispensable part of the national defense industry.
Related Categories of the Shipbuilding Industry:Commodity classification by ship type:
- Merchant ships: Ships that generally transport goods, such as bulk ships, container ships, general cargo ships, oil tankers, liquefied gas ships, passenger ships, cement ships, timber ships, refrigerated ships, etc.
- Fishing Vessels: Vessels generally used for fishing operations, such as trawlers, fishing boats, purse seiners, etc.
- Pleasure boats: Vessels generally engaged in recreational and recreational activities at sea, such as sightseeing boats, yachts, fishing boats, speedboats, underwater sightseeing submarines, etc.
- Military ships: Ships for military purposes, such as frigates, patrol ships, submarines, speedboats, etc.
- Special ships: Including tugboats, barges, engineering ships, and other work ships, as well as police boats, transportation ships, etc.
The future trend of the world shipbuilding industry, from the point of view of merchant ships, will continue to develop in the direction of large-scale, high-speed, and automation, and various types of special-purpose ships and dual-purpose ships will increase. The current special-purpose ships include oil tankers, ore ships, liquefied gas ships, car ships, timber carriers, chemical ships, etc. There are oil and ore combined ships, ore and bulk cargo ships, automobiles, and bulk cargo ships, etc.According to the size of the shipyard and business projects, it can be divided into large, medium, and small factories:
- Large shipyards build container ships, bulk carriers, oil tankers, military, and police ships, and land-based projects.
- Medium-sized shipyards build official ships, bulk carriers, transportation ships, port service ships, work ships, yachts, fishing boats, etc.
- Small shipyards are engaged in the production of FRP fishing boats and ship repair business, among which a few shipyards can build small patrol boats made of high-strength composite materials.
The Development of the Shipbuilding Industry:
The shipbuilding industry is one of the most important traditional industries in Taiwan and occupies an important position, covering merchant ships, yachts, fishing vessels, official ships, new generation ships, marine equipment, etc. The manufacture of ships and yachts is a highly integrated and high-performance industry, its products are highly complex and require high-intelligence software and hardware technology. With the trend of large-scale ships, automation, high speed, and environmental protection orientation, ships and marine equipment have developed towards the direction of high efficiency, intelligence, refinement, energy saving, and zero pollution.